3/14/12

"Preparing For My First Home Birth"

When I made this decision, it was not in haste. I have had 6 kids, all in the hospital, all with epidurals and 5 with pitocin. However, I had a very personal experience that I would like to share. One evening, not too long after finding out I was pregnant, I was on my knees in prayer. I am so extremely grateful to our Father in heaven that He knows us individually and has a plan for each of us. I got the inspiration that I was to deliver our baby at home. AT HOME, people! Those of you that know me know I have nothing to prove. I am not doing this to be a macho mama or anything like that. I am doing this because this is what I feel God wants for my baby and myself. I know if He wants it for me and tells me to do it that I can.

 I did not find my midwife until my 6th month. Why? Each one I interviewed just didn't "feel" right. I had to find the RIGHT one, the one He wanted me to use. I have a friend who is a fellow homeschooling mama. I hadn't talked to her in a while and she gave me a call out of the blue. She told me how each day for a week as she prayed she kept seeing my face. I was able to find my midwife through her and I am so grateful that I have friends who are in tune with the Holy Ghost and who follow inspiration. It was a prayer answered through another person for sure. I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! They happen all the time. When I talked with my midwife on the phone, I knew within about 5 minutes that she was the one I had been searching for.

Fast forward a few more months... According to my due date: I am 41 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I truly believed that my baby's birth was going to happen about a month ago. We had a huge event for the Northern Utah Homeschoolers. It was the Entrepreneurship Fair. I thought that THAT was going to be the night. Then, I thought the next night, and the next night! WHY? Because I was having surges, pressure waves or contractions (whatever you want to call them!) consistently for hours. Then, they would just STOP. Oh, patience! I need more patience. If you pray for patience, I promise you will get an experience to teach you patience. *SIGH*

I have tried homeopathics to induce my labor naturally. I have tried herbal tinctures. (Blue Kohosh) Let's see. What else? Accupressure, lots of closeness and intimacy with my husband (TMI) and running, walking, going up and down stairs, going on long bumpy drives, essential oils, ginger baths, soothing music, massage, etc. I guess this baby just isn't quite ready. Now, here is the funny part. I will probably go into labor tonight after writing this up. Wouldn't you just know it? I hope so! The hardest part of the waiting FOR ME has been that I am trying to play if safe during cold and flu season. Chicken pox recently went through the area. We even had a scare here! Pink eye had it's stay. Now, we have heard some of the drivers are struggling with severe bronchitis. Um... no thanks! So I am a bit of a social gal. I like to plan events, get out, go on field trips, etc. We aren't doing all that right now so I am struggling a bit. Don't be surprised if you call and I chat your ear off for an hour.

I wanted to share what I am doing to prep myself a bit for my first natural, at home birth. We are using a midwife and she has helped me A LOT to stay on track nutritionally. She knew when I needed extra iron in my diet, which I supplemented with liquid chlorophyll, pumpkin seeds, and molasses. I found that mixing the molasses with a little apple juice helped a lot with the texture and taste. (Thanks, Susan!) I didn't get as dizzy and had more energy on the days I remained faithful to this regimen.

Here are some links with information on a philosophy I have been studying:

http://www.hypnobirthingutah.com/
www.hypnobirthing.com
www.gentlebirth.org


I have read quite a few books now about the LAW of ATTRACTION. Here are just a few of my favorites:

"As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen
"As a Woman Thinketh by  (This one was given to me by my Grandma Geri in 2000. I just barely picked it up and read it this year. Thank you, Grandma!)
"Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill
"Heaven's Hidden Treasures" and "Jack Rabbit Factor" by Leslie Householder
(Side note: She is another TJED mom who happens to be LDS and a hero of mine. You can download her book for free at jackrabbitfactor.com She also has some other great books too!)
"Aspire" by Kevin Hall

There are many others, but these are just a few of my absolute favorites. The reason why I mention the list is because these two philosophies go hand in hand. What you think about, you truly bring about.


I have a list of positive birthing affirmations that I have been reading for months. I have them pinned up in my bedroom and I lay there and read them aloud. I have a few hundred, but I will make a post with my favorites. The reason why I feel so good about the hypnobirthing method is when I prayed about it, I knew it would help me. It already has in so many ways to be honest. I haven't even gone into labor yet!



1 comment:

hobgirl79 said...

Tammy,
As always, you know just what to say and how to say it! I love reading your blog, it is so inspirational to read the journey you have been going through on your way to giving birth to this sweet baby, hope to hear good things soon!
Love,
Jessica Hobson